WRITING SLAVES OR "ARTICLERS"

Two want-ads for freelance writers I have recently seen that strike me as a new low for real writers. Today's, on Elance boards, was for an "articler" who, of course, would write articles. The other was for someone who could produce articles at 50 cents each. I tell you it's no wonder I'm on Prozac. If I wasn't already I'd be starting out on it now. All I really want to write for are "Field Reports" which, unfortunately, is having major construction problems and not operating at this time, and "Skirt" Magazine. Both of these publish only personal essays for pay. The question I keep asking myself is do I still have the heart and soul to write personal essays after punching out 500 words here and 600 there on everything from the dieting drug Alli to dining out while dieting? To be continued.

No comments: